Fall 2018 Possession Sessions and Drills
- POSSESSION: DEFENSIVE PRESSURE
Three teams of 5 Players. One team designated as the ‘Defensive’ team to start the activity (Yellow in diagram). Playing area is 2 grids separated by a 4yd wide central zone (shaded).
When to ‘Press’, When to ‘Cover’?
Play starts with a pass from the Coach (C) to either group (Black or Red); immediately the Defensive team must send over minimum 4 players to win possession or force errors. The possession teams must look to maintain possession and play ‘forward’ quickly to the opposite grid.
On any loss of possession or error that TEAM becomes the Defensive group.
Constant transitions / changes from Defend-Possession and from Possession-Defend are dictated by the Coach and the supply of balls.
- DEFENSIVE TEAM:
- Press as a group! Press the ball while cutting off passing options
- 5th Defender must make the choice – (1) Enter grid to create more pressure = 5v5 or (2) Stay in central zone to block any existing pass channels
- POSSESSION TEAMS:
- Quick ball circulation + movement in very restricted spaces
- Look to play to the other grid quickly – ‘Play Forward!’
- Immediate ‘Think’ transition to defend on any error / loss of possession
- POSSESSION: EMPHASIS ON QUICK INTER-PLAY
Three teams of 4 players + Goalkeepers in full-sized goals. Playing area approximately 40m x 25m (playing area can be adjusted according to player ability).
A 4v4 (+GKs) is organized inside the playing area; 4 support / wall players are positioned on the sidelines as shown. Support players are limited to 1-touch play (if possible). Quick ball circulation and movement is encouraged to create a ‘high tempo’ of play. Normal rules apply – teams attempt to score in their opponent’s goal.
Play is continuous; 1.5 – 2min games.
Change the Support players after each game.
- The support players create multiple opportunities for one-twos, give + goes etc.
- POSSESSION – DEVELOPING THE BUILDUP
A 6v6 + 1 is organized as shown. Players are assigned to specific zones; the ‘floater’ (green) can move freely between zones.